COURSE:- THIRD YEAR BASIC B.Sc. NURSING
1) SUBJECT:- MEDICAL SURGICAL NURSING – II
Course Description: The purpose of this course is to acquire knowledge and proficiency in caring for patients with medical and surgical disorders in varieties of health care settings and at home.
Specific Objectives: At the end of the course the student will be able to:
1. Provide care for patients with disorders of ear nose and throat.
2. Take care of patients with disorders of eye.
3. Plan, implement and evaluate nursing management of patients with neurological disorders.
4. Develop abilities to take care of female patients with reproductive disorders.
5. Provide care of patients with burns, reconstructive and cosmetic surgery.
6. Manage patients with oncological conditions
7. Develop skill in providing care during emergency and disaster situations
8. Plan, implement and evaluate care of elderly
9. Develop ability to manage patients in critical care units.
2) SUBJECT:- CHILD HEALTH NURSING.
Course Description: This course is designed for developing an understanding of the modern approach to child-care, identification, prevention and nursing management of common health problems of neonates and children.
Specific Objectives: At the end of the course, the students will be able to:
1. Explain the modern concept of child care and the principles of child health nursing.
2. Describe the normal growth and development of children in various age groups.
3. Explain the physiological response of body to disease conditions in children.
4. Identify the health needs and problems of neonates and children, plan and implement appropriate nursing interventions.
5. Identify the various preventive, promotive and rehabilitative aspects of child care and apply them in providing nursing care to children in the hospital and in the community.
3) MENTAL HEALTH NURSING
This course is designed for developing an understanding of the modern approach to mental health, identification, prevention, rehabilitation and nursing management of common mental health problems with special emphasis on therapeutic interventions for individuals, family and community.
Specific Objectives: At the end of the course student will be able to:
1. Understand the historical development and current trends in Mental Health Nursing.
2. Comprehend and apply principles of psychiatric nursing in clinical practice.
3. Understand the etiology, psychodynamics and management of psychiatric disorders.
4. Develop competency in assessment, therapeutic communication and assisting with various
5. Understand and accept psychiatric patient as an individual and develop a deeper insight into
her own attitudes and emotional reactions.
6. Develop skill in providing comprehensive care to various kinds of psychiatric patients.
7. Develop understanding regarding psychiatric emergencies and crisis interventions.
8. Understand the importance of community health nursing in psychiatry.
4) SUBJECT:- MIDWIFERY AND OBSTETRICAL NURSING
Course Description: This course is designed for students to appreciate the concepts and principles of Midwifery and obstetrical nursing. It helps them to acquire knowledge and skills in rendering nursing care to normal and high risk pregnant woman during antenatal, natal and post natal periods in hospitals and community settings. It also helps to develop skills in managing normal and high-risk neonates and participate in family welfare programme.
Specific objectives: At the end of the course student will be able to:
1. Describe the normal pregnancy, labor and peurperium and demonstrate the application of knowledge and skill in giving need –based care.
2. Demonstrate safe management of all stages of labour.
3. Identify the high risk factor during pregnancy, labor and peurperium as well as neonates and take appropriate interventions.
4. Motivate the mother for care of the baby and adapting family planning methods to maintain small family norms.
5. Prepare the mothers for self care during the pregnancy, labor and peurperium.